V-A-S Valley Aviation Society Forum

Welcome to the V-A-S Forum
It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 16:08

All times are UTC

Post subject: 360Radar and ADS-B
PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 11:55 
Site Admin

Afternoon all

I am currently setting up this one thread to cover Virtual Radar for both 360Radar and ADS-B. If there is enough interest then I can split them into separate two threads to avoid any confusion.

So post away guys :thumbs_up

EOS 7D & BG-E7
SX210 IS
Canon 18mm -135mm Lens
Canon 100mm - 400mm L Lens

Post subject: Re: 360Radar and ADS-B
PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 12:54 

If you are considering setting up a 360Radar ground station, it's well worth subscribing to the Facebook Group which is a great resource. Philip Lee is approachable, patient and helpful, and his pinned post contains detailed stage-by-stage instructions for both Windows- and Pi-based systems. There is also a wealth of useful information in the Files. If you do encounter a problem, it is most unlikely that you will be the first and somebody will have the answer.

My limited computer knowledge and expertise remain very firmly rooted in the last century, but if I can set up a Windows-based Ground Station and get it working (I've done three so far - XP and Windows 8) anyone can.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 18:07 
V-A-S Member

For anyone looking to setup a feed, here is a brief overview of what is required.

The two Options are PC/Laptop Or a Raspberry Pi

Alot of people use PC/Laptop as they have one already, this device would need to be left on all day to feed data to the adsb/mlat network.
The downside is most people are limited where this device is positioned and it can consume alot of power if left running 24/7

The Raspberry Pi Option is a better solution but it means you will have to pay out £40-£50
The upside of this is its a tiny microcomputer about the size of a tin of Sardines and it can be easily placed anywhere with a plug.

The next thing you will need is a small DVB-T dongle around £10, this is a standard looking USB dongle with small aerial for TV reception

Tracking the planes works on line of sight so the aerial is best positioned on a windowsill or if possible outside on the roof of the house. The higher the better. Geographic location plays into coverage, if you live in a low valley you will have limited line of sight, if you live ontop of a hill then you will have good all round reception of signals from the aircraft.

Other optional upgrades are.. a better aerial or a pre-amp. Both of these will improve the range that your receiver can pickup aircraft

If anyone has any Questions regarding the above then feel free to ask below and i will do my best to answer and provide any assistance to anyone intrested in setting up their own receiver

PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 19:37 
V-A-S Member

Does using the raspberry Pi set up enable aircraft to be tracked that are not possible to see on the radar sites e.g. ADS-B when already in low level, or does it feed into another system ? I am trying to get some early warning of C-130's approaching LFA 7 for the Conwy Valley but have so far not had any luck as they seem to approach especially from the North invisibly. Radio transmissions do not allow time to get to a photo location, probably the best option is to spend lots of time in hope at a good location ?

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 08:21 
V-A-S Member

Using either raspberry Pi or PC/Laptop will enable you to track an aircraft providing you have a line of sight view of it.
This can be seen on your own dump1090 output. (dump1090 is your personal map with only the aircraft you track)

The reason they don't appear on the radar sites is because there are not enough receivers tracking it to work out its position, 1 receiver may well be tracking it clearly but the way the radar site back end works is only to show if a mlat is achieved by 3 or more receivers.

If the plane has sendl ADSB data (i.e A400m) then it is sending its position so can be tracked on the radar sites by a single receiver.

edit: pic added below to show the difference in my local dump1090 output and a tracking site online.

I couldnt be without my receiver now as i can see so much more traffic that doesn't show elsewhere. i still use both my own feed and a merged feed be it 360radar or adsb exchange

here is my setup, the silver box is an options pre-amp

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 08:11 
V-A-S Member

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I will look into it a bit deeper, but don't think I will be able to set to set it all up at the present time.
cheers. Gaz.